The U.S. Supreme Court rejected a request Monday that would have allowed the release of hundreds of hours of video allegedly showcasing Planned Parenthood’s involvement in the commercial trafficking of aborted babies’ body parts.
In David Daleiden et al v. National Abortion Federation, the nation’s highest court had been asked to overturn a lower court’s injunction that barred Mr. Daleiden from releasing more videos – videos which would be both politically embarrassing and potentially incriminating for Planned Parenthood and other NAF abortionists, according to the Thomas More Society.
“Justice is not only blind, but it remains gagged for the time being,” remarked Tom Brejcha President and Chief Counsel, Thomas More Society, about the Supreme Court’s decision to leave in place the district court ruling blocking the release of the videos.
“It’s a setback but it’s a temporary setback,” Brejcha told MRCTV, “Because the case is far from over, it’s really revving up down in the lower courts, and it will continue until there is a final judgment and then we can appeal again.”
“These videos have been amazing in their impact. Planned Parenthood says ‘we didn’t make any money off of baby parts. We’re innocent - etcetera.’ Meanwhile, they promise that they won’t keep doing what they were doing. As if they pretended it was okay.”
Brejcha says he is confident David Daleiden’s First Amendment rights will ultimately be upheld.
“All those videos that David and his Center For Medical Progress published were perfectly legal. The problem arose with videos that he took undercover again at the two annual meetings of the National Abortion Federation, where he signed an exhibitor agreement, and also made another commitment when he went into the actual convention site that he wouldn’t take videos or do any recording – and of course he did.”
“We think it’s a gross violation of his free speech rights, he had every reason to believe that he was getting evidence of illegal conduct, and indeed he did generate such evidence,” Brejcha said.