Well, would you look at that. A couple more terrorists Obama humanely released from Guantanamo Bay have returned to their nefarious, no-good terrorist ways. Shocking.
According to Rueters, the U.S. government confirmed that two more militants have rejoined terrorist groups, making a grand total of nine former Gitmo prisoners that have returned to the fight under President Obama.
From the report:
In the first six months of 2016, two more militants released from the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have returned to fighting, the U.S. government said on Wednesday.
Washington has confirmed that a total of nine people freed from Guantanamo have rejoined militant groups since President Barack Obama took office in 2009, according to a report issued on Tuesday by the Office of Director of National Intelligence, or ODNI.
The ODNI says another 11 former prisoners are “suspected” to have rejoined terrorist groups, Rueters added.
President Obama has released 161 prisoners from Gitmo since he first took office in 2009, Rueters added. Seventeen of those were released in the first six months of this year as the president attempts to make good on a 2008 campaign pledge to close the Cuba-based detention facility.
Gitmo has so far seen 779 prisoners pass through its doors since the facility first opened in 2002. Fox News reported on Aug. 5 that of Gitmo’s 76 remaining prisoners, 34 have been approved for transfer to another country. Another 32 prisoners are scheduled to go before a Department of Defense Review board.
Fox News added that "[s]ome of the detainees approved for transfer out of Gitmo were involved in the 9/11 attacks, according to Thomas Joscelyn, a senior fellow at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies.”