Get your bumper sticker now!

London Mayor Seeks to Ban Cars After Terrorist Attack

5k views

London Mayor Sadiq Khan suggested the British city may ban cars in specific areas in response to its latest suspected terrorist attack Tuesday.

Three innocent people were injured Monday night after 29-year old suspected terrorist Salih Khaterdrove drove through a group of pedestrians with his Ford Fiesta before crashing into a barrier surrounding the House of Parliament. Khaterdrove is a British citizen from Sudan.

In an interview with BBC radio Wednesday, Khan suggested that banning motor vehicles in specific areas of London could keep the public safer, but at the same time, vowed citizens will never “lose one important thing about our democracy: People having an access to parliamentarians, people being able to lobby parliament and being able to come and visit parliament.”

Khan expressed his hope to find a balance between a “vibrant democracy” and “safety.”

“I think there would be lots of challenges if we would do the whole square. It is a thoroughfare for cars, vehicles and commercial deliveries going through London,” he said. “So it’s possible to have a designed solution … in keeping our buildings and people as safe as we can do. And also not losing what is so wonderful about our city that is a vibrant democracy, people can walk around safely.”

Earlier this year, Khan took action to stop citizens from carrying knives in public as a response to London’s uptick in knife attacks.

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife," said Khan when he first announced his new knife control policies. "Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law."

 

Sponsored Links

Please support MRCTV today! [a 501(c)(3) non-profit production of the Media Research Center]

DONATE

Or, book travel through MRC’s Travel Discounts Program! MRC receives a rebate for each booking when you use our special codes.

BOOK NOW