Jussie Smollett, the actor behind one of the most famous hate hoaxes in recent memory, was indicted by a special prosecutor Tuesday stemming from the racist, anti-gay crime he’d falsely claimed occurred against him back in January 2019.
He’s due in court Feb. 24.
Smollett had previously told Chicago police that two men had assaulted him, pouring an unknown substance on him and draping a rope around his neck while shouting homophobic slurs at him. The former “Empire” actor also claimed the two men were wearing red hats (similar to the “MAGA” hats worn by Trump supporters) at 2 a.m.
In downtown Chicago.
After an extensive investigation by Chicago PD involving thousands of tax dollars and hundreds of man hours by multiple personnel, authorities determined Smollett had made the entire story up, presumably to draw attention to his career. The two men revealed to have been Smollett’s “attackers” – two Nigerian brothers who had worked with Smollett – said the actor had paid them to stage the fake attack, and video surveillance footage from where Smollett was allegedly accosted appeared to verify their claims that the entire thing was orchestrated in advance.
All 16 felony charges against Smollett for the alleged hoax were eventually dropped by the state attorney in exchange for Smollett’s $10,000 in bail.
Smollett, on the other hand, maintains he’s innocent.