President Trump had announced some weeks ago that he would be delaying ICE raids on illegal immigrants whose deportations had been ordered - but now a new report claims the operation has been renewed and will start Sunday.
"As always, ICE prioritizes the arrest and removal of unlawfully present aliens who pose a threat to national security, public safety and border security,” an ICE spokesman said, “... However, all of those in violation of the immigration laws may be subject to immigration arrest, detention and – if found removable by final order – removal from the United States.”
According to the New York Times, who first reported on the development, the raids are set to take place in ten different cities over the course of several days.
“When possible, family members who are arrested together will be held in family detention centers in Texas and Pennsylvania,” The Times said, continuing, “But because of space limitations, some might end up staying in hotel rooms until their travel documents can be prepared.”
Over 2,000 immigrants are said to be targeted by the raid series. As of now, it seems as if the White House and department officials are resolute in their stance in letting the raids go forward.