The U.S. Supreme Court announced Thursday a major victory for gun rights: that, in a 6-3 decision, the court had ruled against a New York law mandating a person prove "cause" in order to obtain a permit to carry a concealed firearm in public.
And it took about two seconds for leftist pundits and blue-checkmarks on social media to absolutely melt down.
Covering everything from "abolish SCOTUS" to the over-used (and debunked) "musket" argument, here are just a few of the most hilarious and far-reaching takes from liberals incensed that their power to restrict the free exercise of the Second Amendment is being curbed.
1. This MSNBC whack-job postulating that SCOTUS wants to gin up violence in order to prompt police action.
Let's be very clear about the far-right political design behind Justice Thomas's push for this. The goal is to increase chaos and crime and thus support for authoritarian "law and order" solutions. https://t.co/iLutU18qkR— Ruth Ben-Ghiat (@ruthbenghiat) June 23, 2022
2. This (somehow) lawyer who said SCOTUS should have "read the room," apparently believing that legal interpretation should depend on public opinion.
SCOTUS read neither the room nor the Constitution correctly— Preet Bharara (@PreetBharara) June 23, 2022
3. Always one to up the Idiot Bar, Keith Olbermann called for SCOTUS to be "dissolved" and for cities and states to "ignore this ruling."
It has become necessary to dissolve the Supreme Court of the United States.— Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann) June 23, 2022
The first step is for a state the "court" has now forced guns upon, to ignore this ruling.
Great. You're a court? Why and how do think you can enforce your rulings?#IgnoreTheCourt
4. The math-ignorant economist Robert Reich comparing guns to preborn children.
So states can decide you must carry a fetus but not whether you can carry a concealed gun?— Robert Reich (@RBReich) June 23, 2022
5. Joy-less Reid accusing the "ultra right wing Christian" Court of wanting to "repeal the 20th century."
When you have an ultra right wing Christian* unaccountable SCOTUS majority for whom “originalism” means returning this country to roughly what it was in the 18th and 19th centuries, this is what you get. They genuinely mean to repeal the 20th century. https://t.co/sMhec7rQxi— Joy-Ann (Pro-Democracy) Reid 😷 (@JoyAnnReid) June 23, 2022
6. New York Gov. Kathy Hochul claiming that the "only weapons" the Founders had were muskets - which, is not only false, but would also relegate her to using a hand-trimmed quill to pen all her fascist diktats.
KATHY HOCHUL: "I would like to point out to the Supreme Court justices, that the only weapons at that time were muskets. I'm prepared to go back to muskets." pic.twitter.com/xGoYKGE6g0— Townhall.com (@townhallcom) June 23, 2022
7. Elie Mystal openly lying, tweeting that SCOTUS just granted people the "right to shoot people."
Thomas is for real saying that you have a right to shoot people not only under the Second Amendment, but the 14th as well!— Elie Mystal (@ElieNYC) June 23, 2022
If only liberals had brought these talking points into the courtroom on hearing day.
I mean, it wouldn't have changed anything - but it would have been hilarious.