Thomas Sowell is a renowned American economist, social theorist, political philosopher, and author. He is what liberals are most scared of, a black conservative who knows the truth.
Here are 10 quotes of his that liberals would probably think are outrageous.
1. “It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer it.”
2. “The black family survived centuries of slavery and generations of Jim Crow, but it has disintegrated in the wake of the liberals’ expansion of the welfare state.”
3. “The most fundamental fact about the ideas of the political left is that they do not work. Therefore we should not be surprised to find the left concentrated in institutions where ideas do not have to work in order to survive.”
4. “If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today.”
5. “The biggest and most deadly ‘tax’ rate on the poor comes from a loss of various welfare state benefits—food stamps, housing subsidies and the like—if their income goes up.”
6. “The more people who are dependent on government handouts, the more votes the left can depend on for an ever-expanding welfare state.”
7. “Helping those who have been struck by unforeseeable misfortunes is fundamentally different from making dependency a way of life.”
8. “The real minimum wage is zero.”
9. “Elections should be held on April 16th—the day after we pay our income taxes. That is one of the few things that might discourage politicians from being big spenders.”
10. “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face”
Bonus Quote -
"If you have been voting for politicians who promise to give you goodies at someone else's expense then you have no right to complain when they take your money and give it to someone else, including themselves."
Here is a short video about how he changed from Marxist to a Conservative.
Three things to ask liberals when considering their ideas are
1. Compared to What?
2. At what cost?
3. What hard evidence do you have?