While speaking at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. on May 20, AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka said that the U.S. electoral process has been broken by the Supreme Court with its ruling in the Citizens United campaign finance case.
But an inconvenient truth for Trumka lies in readily-available campaign finance records.
According to OpenSecrets.org's list of the top 140 donors from 1989 to 2010, 12 out of the top 15 donate overwhelmingly to Democrats. As a matter of fact, a majority of those who give the most donations are unions such as the SEIU, American Federation of Teachers, and the Communication Workers of America.
The AFL-CIO, the union Trumka heads, is ranked 26 out of the top 140 political 'Heavy Hitters' with money in politics.
One way to put this into perspective is how much the Left has tried to demonize Koch Industries and the brothers who head it.
You'd think from all the shouting the Left does, they'd be the top contributor to Republican causes, which they are not.
As a matter of fact, they are ranked 87 out of the 140 on this list- that's 61 spots behind Trumka's AFL-CIO.
To see the entire list of 'Heavy Hitters' in politics, lobbying, and influence click here to head on over to OpenSecrets.org.
- LANGUAGE WARNING: Longshore Union Member Flips: "Get Out of the F*cking Parking Lot!"
- Common Cause Selectively Condemns Hateful Rhetoric
- Bozell Discusses Koch Bros. Interest in Buying Tribune Newspapers
- Michigan Right To Work Fight Continues, 15 More File Charges Against Machinists
- Plumbers and AFT Union Officials forced to concede, plus IKEA, Machinists and more
- Ace of Spades HQ
- Americans For Prosperity
- Big Government
- Big Hollywood
- Big Journalism
- Breitbart TV
- Business & Media Institute
- Culture & Media Institute
- Gateway Pundit
- Hot Air
- Live Action Blog
- MRC Action Team
- Media Research Center
- Michelle Malkin
- Powerline Blog
- RCP Video
- The Blaze
- The Foundry
- Weasel Zippers